Friday, November 1, 2019

Getting Back


Brandon Figliolino
Getting Back
November 1st, 2019

            I’ve been experiencing a creative drought, and it’s had an impact on my writing. The last nonfiction piece I’ve written and published to my blog was back in April. I can’t even remember the last time I wrote a short story to completion. I acknowledge it is my fault for exacerbating this desert; a lack focus and dedication to the craft has left me with not a flourishing garden but a mess of dirt, weeds, and dead plants.
            It’ll take time to plant new seeds. Over the past few weeks, for example, I have written a short story over and over, never getting more than a few pages before feeling like I need a good scream. It plays so vivid and grand in my head but translating it to print, the words read much like my garden: blah. Getting back to a routine is hard, especially when it’s been absent for a while.
            To honor my spirit and reinvigorate my mind, body, and soul, I am committing November to writing. The month is National Novel Writing Month, and the opportune time to reinvest time in myself and my writing. Plus, it’ll be easier to convince myself to spend an hour writing than an hour on the bicycle in freezing temperatures.
            For the month, I challenge myself to write every day and to publish something, anything, at least once a week. A lot of life has happened since April; I have plenty of material from which to source.
            Here I go! It’s time to regrow this garden that’s brought such joy to my life in the past. Now, who has a watering can I can borrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment